Troilus and Cressida - William Shakespeare Now I understand why Troilus and Cressida is considered one of the problem plays. There is no hero nor herione of the story, and there is no antagonist either. This play does not adhere to the typical genres of Shakespeare (tragedy, comedy, or history) as well. I suppose it is closest to a tragedy in that Troilus and Cressida do not end up together, however this is one of the aspects of the play that I enjoyed most, besides the being a retelling of a snippet of the Iliad and Thersites' amazing insults of course. Shakespeare makes it clear that Troilus is far more in love with his idea of Cressida being a romantic, Penelope-like figure hopelessly devoted to him, than Cressida herself. Cressida seems like a normal teenage girl, getting a crush on one guy for a month then another the next--very much unlike Troilus' idea that a woman must love only one man for her entire life. The audience sees that Troilus is just a crush to Cressida, but Troilus cannot, so when he spies on her agreeing to sleep with her now-husband Diomedes, he is understandably angered and heartbroken. Troilus vows revenge on Diomedes and Cressida, but the play ends before we can see if ever achieves it. While Troilus and Cressida is not among my favorite of Shakespeare's plays, I find that its problems are what makes the play interesting.